Somehow, during this spring’s canned ham makeover,
we’ve managed to do some landscaping for the Dutch colonial.
Here’s what’s happening out front:
Wait. Where are the plants?
How disappointed was I that the mulch + plants blend too much!?
We’ll just have to fix it!
I’m mulling over some possible remedies, so stay tuned.
For now, let’s get back to the landscaping happiness!
We planted 7 barberry shrubs to accentuate our front bay
+ to complement the brick red in our beautiful stone foundation.
Of course, these will make more of a statement
when they mature at around 3′ tall.
In the meantime, for height, we added my beloved pedestal + urn combo.
Doesn’t the lavender look great against our white siding?
In front, we planted a row of pretty coral bells.
Their green + brick red color coordinates nicely with the barberries,
while their larger leaves add contrast, which is visually more interesting.
Now it’s time for some flowers!
Something spiky at either end could provide fun exclamation points,
so we chose red-blooming astilbes.
Ours are a tad lackluster right now,
but fingers crossed — here’s what we’ll have:
Aren’t those pretty?
Speaking of pretty, we planted one accent Knock Out rose at the far left side.
It will grow to about 4′ tall.
Our plans are to add at least one more of this same rose
on the opposite side of the front of our house.
We are going to repeat the coral bells over there, too,
which should add some much-needed balance
to our asymmetrical house.
Sooner than later — I hope — we’ll finally tackle + finish that porch of ours.
Notice how we painted the blocks black to add depth
+ make the lattice pop:
Our front yard looks like there’s been an explosion, but no worries!
Our nice neighbor recently helped us remove the original sidewalks.
We’ve already been shopping for bricks,
because my sidewalk hopes + dreams look a little something like these: